A SDSPJ + ASJA Journalism Conference
Saturday, Nov. 7th
The Fermanian Conference Center, Point Loma Nazarene University
8:45am Registration + Coffee
Introduction & Event Emcee: Matthew Hall, President, San Diego Society of Professional Journalists & Director, Public Engagement, The San Diego Union Tribune
9:15 – 10:30am
Panel 1: Geronimo! Jumping Into Freelancing
Moderator: Matt Hall
• Clare Leschin-Hoar, Freelance Journalist — finding gigs, the pros of specializing, local vs national beat
• Randy Dotinga, President, American Society of Journalists and Authors — Making the switch from the newsroom, finding clients, the pros of generalizing, and protecting yourself in terms of libel/contracts/etc
• Claire Trageser, Reporter, KPBS — freelancing while you have a job
• Sherry Paprocki, Vice President, American Society of Journalists and Authors — branding yourself as an independent writer
Panel 2: Rebrand Yourself: Options Outside Traditional Journalism
Moderator: Rebecca Coates Nee, Assistant Professor of Journalism & Media Studies, San Diego State University — Moving from journalism to academia
• Andrew Keatts, Reporter, Voice of San Diego and Content Editor, Kinder Institute for Urban Research — Working for a non-profit while holding down a fulltime reporting job.
• Craig Gustafson, Press Secretary/Director of Media Relations, Mayor Kevin Faulconer’s Office — Moving from Journalism to PR.
• Justin Hudnall, Executive Director, So Say We All — Life after TV
• Rachel Laing, Principal, Laing Strategic Communications – Public Affairs: Like Journalism, Only Better
Luncheon Plenary: You’re Not a Journalist Anymore
Damon Brown, writer & entrepreneur
Bagged lunch will be available for $7.
Lunch must be pre-ordered when you register.
Or bring your own!
Panel 3: Bestseller-Bound: Writing (and Selling!) Your Book
Moderator: Randy Dotinga, President, ASJA
• Janine Latus, ASJA board member and best-selling author of “If I Am Missing or Dead: A Sister’s Story of Love, Murder, and Liberation”
• Penny Sansevieri, book publicist/marketer, Author Marketing Experts
• Elise Capron, literary agent agent, Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency
Panel 4: What Editors Really Want
Moderator: Claire Trageser, KPBS
• Sara Libby, Managing Editor, Voice of San Diego
• Jennifer McEntee, Freelance Writer, San Diego Magazine
• Joe Guerin, News Editor, KPBS
• Ron Donoho, Editor in Chief, CityBeat
Conference Closing Remarks: Matt Hall + invitation to meet for post conference drinks & conversation at Soda & Swine, 2750 Dewey Rd #104, in Liberty Station.
Event hashtag: #SPJASJA
When: Starting at 9 a.m., Saturday, Nov. 7
Where: Point Loma Nazarene University, Fermanian Conference Center, 3900 Lomaland Drive San Diego, CA 92106
On-Campus Directions: The PLNU Welcome Center at the entrance to campus can give you directions to the Fermanian Conference Center or you can use the campus map: http://www.pointloma.edu/sites/default/files/filemanager/PLNU/Printable_Campus_Map.pdf
To Get to the PLNU Campus:
From Interstate 5: Exit on Rosecrans Ave. and proceed south to Canon Rd. Turn right on Canon and proceed to Catalina Blvd (at the top of the hill). Turn left on Catalina Blvd., and then make the first right onto Lomaland Dr.
From Interstate 8: Take 8 west to Nimitz Blvd./Sunset Cliffs. Follow the road onto Nimitz Blvd. Turn right on Chatsworth Blvd and proceed to Catalina Blvd (at the top of the hill). Turn left on Catalina Blvd., and then in approximately one mile make a right onto Lomaland Dr.