Several Southwestern College students and the Southwestern College Sun staff won national awards in SPJ’s Mark of Excellence awards, which were announced May 4.
SPJ received more than 3,600 entries in the awards contest, which honors the best in college journalism. The Southwestern College students won national awards in the two-year college division.
- Southwestern College Staff – national winner in Editorial Writing for “The truths and myths of Raj K. Chopra”
- Sean Campbell and Lyndsay Winkley – national winners in Breaking News Reporting for “Faculty union members banned”
- Sean Campbell – national winner in General News Reporting
- Sean Campbell – national finalist in Sports Writing for “No love for tennis teams”
- Daniela Padilla – national winner in General News Photography for “Enough”
- Misael Virgen – national finalist in Breaking News Photography for “Where have all the classes gone?”
- Diana Inocencio – national finalist in Feature Photography for “Game Face”
- Russell Scoffin – national finalist in Sports Photography for “Soar Feet”
The student journalists will be recognized Oct. 4, at the Mark of Excellence Awards Luncheon, held during the 2010 SPJ Convention & National Journalism Conference at The Planet Hollywood Hotel in Las Vegas. Click here for convention information. More schedule and registration information will be available online soon.
For the full list of national Mark of Excellence winners, visit www.spj.org/news.asp?REF=974.